All eyes were on J Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown on Friday night, the site for the District XI 5A Championship. East Stroudsburg South was looking for a repeat title while Southern Lehigh was looking for their first Championship.
And that they got. The Spartans, behind a school record 323 yards and four touchdowns by Asher Smith, brought home the title with a 52-35 win over the Cavaliers. Southern Lehigh, as a team, rushed for more than 500 yards on the night.
Smith set the tone in the opening minute with a 61 yard touchdown, but also had scoring runs of 64, 91 and 52, while Cam Fisher added a 70 yard touchdown. The game went back and fourth in the first quarter tied at 7-7 and 14-14, with ESS getting touchdowns from Christian Arrington(52) and Christian Sapp(37). But too much from Southern Lehigh as they took over from there.
The Spartans now move on to the State playoffs where they will take on Oil City out of District 10, which is just outside Erie. The Cavaliers end the season at 9-3.
- 2023-24 Boys Swimming Preview: Whitehall Zephyrs December 4, 2023
- 2023-24 Girls Swimming Preview: Zephyrs December 4, 2023
- 2023-24 Swimming & Diving Preview: Liberty Hurricanes December 4, 2023
- 2023-24 Swimming & Diving Preview: William Allen Canaries December 4, 2023
- 2023-24 Girls Swimming Preview: Phillipsburg Stateliners December 4, 2023
- 2023-24 Swimming & Diving Preview: Emmaus Green Hornets December 4, 2023
- Lehighton Fights for the 248 Trophy December 3, 2023
- 2023-24 Girls Basketball Preview: Tri-Valley Lady Dawgs December 3, 2023
- 2023-24 Competitive Spirit Preview: Pocono Mountain East Cardinals December 3, 2023
- D11Sports.com Daily Scoreboard results for December 2, 2023 December 3, 2023