Central and Easton met Friday night at Rockne Hall in the EPC quarterfinals. Both teams had tremendous seasons and they continued that into Friday’s contest.
Central Catholic looked to attack the basket early on and did just that. Eight of their first 11 points were from inside the paint. Easton, a good three point shooting team, tried to play how they usually play, but Central’s defense stopped Easton multiple times. The first quarter ended at 19-17 with Central Catholic leading.
In the second quarter, Central started to pull away, getting a lead as big as 10. Easton was able to cut it to eight going into the half. Central led at the half 31-23. Filchner had 12 for Central.
Easton came out firing in the second half, outscoring Central 11-6 in the first three minutes forcing a Vikings timeout. Central built their lead to ten again before Easton ended the third with a buzzer beater three pointer. Central held on 47-42 after three quarters.
The final quarter was low scoring and very physical. With 33 second left, Asad Brown of Easton had a one and one but couldn’t convert. Central came right down the court. Filchner missed a go ahead three, but Jaylen Green was there for the put back and was fouled. The score was a 52-52 tie. Jaylen Green’s free throw made it Central 53-52 and that would be the final. Easton couldn’t get a shot off at the other end. Easton outscored Central 10-6 in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough.
Central advances to Monday’s semi-final matchup vs Liberty at the PPL Center.
- D11Sports.com Daily Scoreboard results 08/05/20
- Player Spotlights: Alaina Roman, Freedom HS
- Player Spotlight: Ava Hooten, Pocono Mountain East HS
- Player Spotlight: Dominick Magalhaes, Stroudsburg HS
- Player Spotlight: Dimitri Rojas, Stroudsburg HS
- Player Spotlight: Sarah Domin, Freedom HS
- Player Spotlight: Hailey Reinhard, Emmaus HS
- D11Sports.com Daily Scoreboard results 08/07/20
- Player Spotlight: Sasha Dudley, Pocono Mountain East HS
- Player Spotlight: Emma Singley, Southern Lehigh HS