Each year on Thanksgiving, Phillipsburg and Easton play the most important game of the season. The teams have been upholding this tradition for 114 years. On Thursday, P’Burg and Easton battled at Fisher Field in an extremely suspenseful game.
The first half was a defensive battle for both teams. Both P’Burg and Easton made several attempts at scoring but fell short of converting any plays into points.
It was not until the second half where points were scored. In the third quarter, the Liners found themselves in a position to put some points on the board, at fourth down. After a false start penalty, the Liners were in the position to try and convert a field goal. Matt D’Onofrio secured P’Burg’s three points, after a 37-yard field goal attempt. The Liners lead 3-0, at the end of the third quarter.
In the fourth quarter, the Liners looked as if they might secure the win. However, on their last possession of the game, the Rovers were able to recover a fumble, with only 1:10 left on the clock. Two plays later, Easton’s quarterback Cole Transue threw a ten-yard pass to Marcus Willams, scoring Easton’s first touchdown. After the extra point, Easton led 7-3.
With under a minute left in the game, P’Burg tried to put points on the board, but they were unsuccessful. This victory put the Rovers at their sixth straight win in the rivalry.
This game closes out the season for both teams. The Rovers went 6-4 for the season. The Liners went 7-5 for the season.
- Class of 2022 June 18, 2022
- Transue and Gillen team up to lead Gold Team over Red Team June 17, 2022
- Intern Spotlight: Joey Draper, Emmaus HS June 16, 2022
- 2022 Phillipsburg Baseball Season June 15, 2022
- Intern Spotlight: Keiran Lencheski, Notre Dame Green Pond HS June 15, 2022
- Intern Spotlight: Alex Kane, Southern Lehigh HS June 14, 2022
- D11Sports.com Daily Scoreboard results for June 13, 2022 June 13, 2022
- Intern Spotlight: Allie Wenskoski, Palisades HS June 13, 2022
- Intern Spotlight: Tarun Anbarasu, Phillipsburg HS June 12, 2022
- Intern Spotlight: KC Wallace, Lehighton Area HS June 11, 2022