Phillipsburg traveled a short distance to Hunterdon Central for a Friday Night Matchup. Phillipsburg got the job done with a score of 21 Pburg to Hunterdon Central’s 7.
The game started off slow with a score of 0-0 after the first quarter. Both teams were playing great defense.
At the end of the second quarter, a touchdown by running back Xavier Moore and an extra point by Luke Brogan put Phillipsburg on the board 7-0. The first half ended with Hunterdon Central scoreless.
To start the second half, Phillipsburg kicked off. But, a forced fumble by Patrick Day and a recovery by Hunter Cleaver gave them the ball back. This gave P’burg the motivation that lasted the whole game.
Phillipsburg marched down the field and Sophomore Quarterback Jett Genovese passed to Sophomore Wide Receiver Matthew Scerbo who scored a touchdown to make the score P’burg 14 – Hunterdon Central 0 with 8:03 left in the third.
Hunterdon Central could not finish in the end zone because of Phillipsburg’s tough and gritty defense which has been in place for a very long time. With 1:39 left in the third, Jett Genovese threw a touchdown to Matthew Screbo for the second time in the game. The score was 21-0 P’burg.
Shortly after Hunterdon Central ended the third quarter with a receiving TD to make the score 21-7 at the start of the fourth quarter.
Hunterdon Central got a fumble recovery to get them the ball. But, they couldn’t do much because Sophomore Cameron Bohal got an interception which gave Phillipsburg the ball back. Phillipsburg couldn’t score and Hunterdon Central got the ball back. Cameron Bohal came up with another interception to close off the game.
P’burg has shown this season that they are a powerhouse of a team in New Jersey. Their phenomenal defense and offense is tough to beat. Quarterback Jett Genovese and Wide Receiver Matthew Scerbo have a ton of chemistry together already, and they are only sophomores. I can not wait to see them grow to even greater players. The great defensive effort from players like Patrick Day, John Wargo, Caleb Rivera, and Cameron Bohal with his two interceptions helped P’burg get the win. Phillipsburg is ready to keep winning.
Final Score was Phillipsburg (5-0) 21- Hunterdon Central (2-4) -7.
- Bombers Battle for 248 Trophy December 4, 2022
- Lady Bombers Push Through Lady Indians December 4, 2022
- D11Sports.com Daily Scoreboard results for December 3, 2022 December 4, 2022
- D11Sports.com Daily Scoreboard results for December 2, 2022 December 3, 2022
- Lehighton Teams Get Ready To Go December 3, 2022
- 2022-23 Wrestling Preview: Palisades HS December 2, 2022
- 2022-23 Wrestling Preview: Northwestern Lehigh HS December 1, 2022
- 2022-23 Girls Basketball Preview: Catasauqua Rough Riders December 1, 2022
- 2022-23 Girls Basketball Preview: Notre Dame GP December 1, 2022
- 2022-23 Boys Basketball Preview: Nazareth Area HS December 1, 2022